Johnson County Convention, Visitor and Tourism Board (Festival Country Indiana) Tourism Promotion Grant Program
Note: The grant program is being revamped for 2019, so some of the guidelines listed below will change. We are not accepting applications at this time, but check back later for more details about the new guidelines and when to apply.
The Festival Country Indiana grant program is designed to encourage organizations to bring new festivals, events and projects to our area, or to substantially improve existing ones (by, for example, turning a one-day event into a two-day event, or by adding a nationally-known entertainment act to a festival that never had such entertainment).
Guidelines and requirements:
- The grant application deadline is noon Eastern time on November 15 for grants that will be awarded the following year. Note that grant money not awarded during the initial phase of the grant process will remain available for grant requests submitted after the original deadline. All grant applications must be filled out completely and sent via email to Kenneth Kosky, Director of Tourism, at firstname.lastname@example.org or be received by mail or hand delivery to Kenneth Kosky, Director of Tourism, Johnson County Convention, Visitor and Tourism Commission (Festival Country Indiana), 86 W. Court St., Franklin, IN 46131.
- It is recommended that your application is sent in prior to the deadline in case it must be sent back for revisions. Applications must be typed or printed neatly, and must include a contact name, address and phone number.
- Applications are evaluated by the Johnson County CVT budget committee and the director of tourism. The committee’s recommendations are given to the full board of directors for their approval. The board may choose to deny, fund, or fund portions of a request. The board is not required to spend the entire budgets amount for grants each year. A board member applying for funding under the program shall excuse himself/herself from the discussion and the vote.
- Grant approvals are voted on at a Johnson County CVT board of directors meeting. All applicants will be notified of the Johnson County CVT board’s decision.
- The CVT may require a 1:1 cash match requirement (for example, a $2,500 grant requires $2,500 in matching funds).
- Grants will be awarded to events and projects that bring in visitors from outside of Johnson County, book hotel rooms and have a positive economic impact on other businesses and attractions.
- Applicants can only apply for grant funding for the same festival, event, meeting, seminar, convention, marketing project or product development for three years.
- Significant alterations to the project following approval requires notification to the director of tourism and will require reconsideration of the application as a whole.
- All marketing materials such as brochures, advertisements, flyers, posters, etc. must display the Festival Country Indiana logo. Please contact Director of Tourism Kenneth Kosky at email@example.com for logos.
- All grantees receiving funding must distribute the Festival Country Indiana Travel Guide at their event, if the CVT has copies available. Please contact Director of Tourism Kenneth Kosky at firstname.lastname@example.org for guides.
- Copies of paid invoices, separate copies of checks or receipts with check numbers indicated, all promotional/marketing materials, and the post- event evaluation form will be due within 60 days after the event, or by December 15 of the year the event occurred, whichever date comes first. Materials not submitted within the 60 day timeframe are subject to the CVT reducing the reimbursement to the corresponding organization.
Grant types and amounts
- Marketing grant: $2,500 (first year); $1,500 (second year); $1,000 (third year)
- Festivals and events grant: $2,500 (first year); $1,500 (second year); $1,000 (third year)
- Meetings, conventions, and seminars: $2,500 (first year); $1,500 (second year); $1,000 (third year)
- Sports sponsorship: Maximum $3,000
- Product development: Maximum $5,000
Grant funds cannot be used for:
- Marketing efforts within Johnson County, unless the promotional campaign is directed to the residents to encourage visitation from their friends and relatives outside of Johnson County.
- Annual operating expenditures of the event, festival or sporting event.
- Salaries, wages or employee benefits .
- Prize money, scholarships, awards, plaques, t-shirts, certificates, buttons or newsletters .
- Events or attractions which are restricted to private or exclusive participation.
- Seasonal or holiday events celebrated by most communities or one-day athletic events that have a primarily local draw. The committee will consider evidence of unique characteristics and/or aspects that provide regional draw to these types of events if such aspects set it apart from the average event.